Think of Us (TOU) operates as an R+D lab for child welfare. We take on strategic projects with the goal of causing “good trouble” and, ultimately, driving concrete, structural changes in policy, practice, resource flows, power dynamics, relationships and mental models. Our ultimate goal is to integrate Lived Experience at every level, ensuring everyone touched by the system has the conditions they need to Heal, Develop and Thrive.
We work across the ecosystem of current and former foster youth, child welfare workers, philanthropists and policymakers to Spark, Support and Drive to systematically center lived experience touched by the system.
Examples of what this looks like include:
We are looking for a Chief Operating Officer – with significant leadership experience in rapidly scaling organizations – to support Think of Us in our next phase of growth. The COO will be a member of our Executive Leadership Team and lead all key internal operational functions: Finance, People, IT, Engineering, Legal, Compliance, and Ops. The scope of work is ambitious, and they will have the opportunity to build out a team to drive exceptional results. The COO will report directly to (Managing Partner).
We are partnering with Edgility Consulting to find a strong candidate has experience as both a strategist and an executor. They love the process of innovatively solving problems while also designing and implementing systems, building operational teams, and – most importantly – strategically prioritizing long-term impact rather than getting derailed by quick fixes. Operational expertise and finance chops are a must, as is a curiosity on how to innovate well beyond the status quo.
Key Responsibilities of the Chief Operating Officer include:
- Partner with the Executive Leadership Team to set a multi-year vision for achieving excellence in our Finance, Engineering, Compliance, and Operations teams;
- Lead a best-in-class team with exceptionally high standards for quality & experience;
- Improve our internal tooling with an goal to maximize automation and efficiency
- Manage TOU’s approach to mitigating risk across all facets of the organization, including legal activities such as memorandums of understanding, contracts, and other legal documents and agreements.
- Lead financial strategy, including exploring creative long-term business structures to expand earned revenue, and setting the foundation for the current year and for future years (~4-6 years out);
- Create the infrastructure and strategy to expertly manage a multi-million dollar budget; design, hire and lead a Finance Department to align TOU’s systems and processes to rigorous finance standards;
- Lead all financial reporting and budgeting work, ensuring organizational sustainability.
- Build a department focused on excellence with exceptional culture supporting game changing work;
- Working closely with the Head of People in establishing a performance management system and process;
- Manage and support the VP of People (VPP) as we build an organization that attracts and supports an exceptional, impact-obsessed team.
- Innovative: you think outside the box and generate new strategies or ideas to explain or solve problems;
- Judgment: you know how to zero in on what’s most important, and evaluate information and priorities when making important decisions;
- Problem solver: you share your own opinions and ideas confidently, but without shutting down others in the conversation;
- Adaptable: you demonstrate flexibility in a rapidly changing circumstance, and can shift quickly to respond;
- Team Player: you work well within a diverse group, and support group goals over personal goals.
- Enterprising: you demonstrate the ability to expand in new directions, and are able to develop and promote innovative ideas to increase business.
- Initiative: you take decisive action independently to achieve results, and hold yourself accountable.
The ideal Chief Operating Officer candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Mission-aligned and deeply passionate about our work with experience in and/or proximity to systems surrounding child welfare;
- 10+ years of executive-level operational and financial management experience required, with a proven professional record of progressive and high-impact experience;
- Demonstrated experience leading change management in an entrepreneurial environment with the vision and leadership skills needed to guide a variety of stakeholders through growth and scaling;
- Demonstrable vision and strategic focus, with strong bias-to-action and ability to drive initiatives forward to successful conclusion;
- Ability to create and identify solutions that are both innovative, intuitive, and progressive;
- Demonstrated ability to build and curate high-performing teams and talent and drive functional competencies and heighten capabilities;
- Demonstrated commitment and impact in cultivating a values-based, performance-driven culture.
- We provide generous health, dental, & vision coverage for you and dependents as well as a 401k plan for your pre-tax retirement contributions
- We're a remote team with schedule flexibility and a flexible vacation policy
- We put you at the cutting edge of change in the child welfare system including: monthly organization-wide learning sessions and the opportunity to interact with leading voices in government, foundations, the nonprofit world, and entertainment, who are working to reform child welfare
Salary + Timeline
This position offers a competitive salary range of $165,000 - $195,000
Click on the link below! For additional questions about this position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact Zachary Harr at firstname.lastname@example.org.