Think of Us (TOU) operates as an R+D lab for child welfare. We take on strategic - and opportunistic - projects with the goal of causing “good trouble” and ultimately, driving concrete, structural changes in policy, practice, resource flows, power dynamics, relationships and mental models.
Our ultimate goal is to build proximity so that those with Lived Experience in child welfare (former foster youth and those surrounding them) are fully integrated into every level and every decision of the system, ensuring everyone touched by child welfare has the conditions they need to Heal, Develop and Thrive.
We work across the ecosystem of current and former foster youth, child welfare workers, philanthropists and policymakers to Spark, Support and Drive to change the power dynamics to systematically center those with lived experience in child welfare.
The Vice President (VP) of Programs will serve on Think of Us’ Senior Leadership Team and will lead all direct service programs at TOU. This role will be responsible for aligning programmatic strategies with organizational objectives, operationalizing audacious initiatives, and driving results that meaningfully impact the child welfare space.
With a budget of ~$3 million, programs operating in 3 states and Washington D.C., and a staff of ~15, the VP of Programs will report to our Managing Partner.
We’re proud of our dynamic and sometimes chaotic culture. It means we’re ready to meet challenges and opportunities as they emerge. This person must be comfortable operating effectively even when priorities are shifting, tasks are ambiguous, and many strong perspectives are existing in the same room at once.
- Lead strategic planning for direct service programs, both growing existing programs and creating new offerings including:
- Full oversight and responsibility for practice model, program operations and results for TOU’s Flagship Virtual Support Services (VSS) program across multiple jurisdictions
- Ensure programmatic excellence - TOU uses the Results Based Accountability Model (training can be provided)
- Ensure that key project outcomes and/or policy, advocacy, and legislation are evaluated and leveraged for maximum community and organizational impact
- Attract, develop, coach, and retain high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control, and performance
- Work with staff to develop systems to ensure consistent, high-quality project management
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth
- Support business development and fundraising activities related to programs and growth of TOU
- Cultivate existing relationships with core partners and clients, identifying opportunities to demonstrate TOU’s impact and results
- Work collaboratively with the senior leadership team to set TOU’s strategic direction and integrate programs with broader organizational objectives
In the first year of the role, the position will focus on:
- Developing a deep knowledge of existing projects, programs, and team members and then identify opportunities to quickly strengthen the team’s impact
- Assessing needs and ensure program objectives are clear and being met
- Leading strategic planning for direct service program growth including:
- Create expansion strategy for our flagship project, Virtual Support Services (currently contracted for service in California, Greater Boston, Washington D.C. and Georgia)
- Consistently review participatory research + data and short-term initiatives, as generated by TOU’s Center for Lived Experience, to determine which to translate into into high-impact direct service programs
- Identify additional direct service programs to be developed that meet TOU’s mission and vision and align with organizational strategic priorities
- Building strong program management infrastructure
- Optimizing program operations
- Working with technical leads to ensure the right data capture
- Codifying TOU’s kinship care program model and prepare it for an evidence based evaluation
The VP of Programs will be thoroughly committed to TOU’s strategy and mission. All candidates must have demonstrated leadership, coaching, and customer relationship management experience. Specific requirements include:
- Program Leadership Experience: This individual will have taken a hands-on approach in leading a variety of initiatives. The ideal candidate will have a track record of effectively leading programs and staff with a focus on outcomes. They will have developed and operationalized strategies that have taken a program or organization to the next stage of growth and have deep experience in and/or understanding of leveraging technology.
- Team Building and Development Experience: The successful candidate will have recruited, managed, and developed a strong team of staff, program/project managers, and development professionals. This individual will serve as a “player/coach” to motivate and mentor their team
- Exceptional Communication and Influencing Skills: As a voice/advocate of TOU, the VP of Programs will have strong written and verbal communication skills. They will be a persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills. This individual must work collaboratively with internal as well as external partners and other organizations, providing exposure for program impact in a variety of professional journals and other media outlets.
In addition, we are looking for:
- Familiarity with managing grants and/or government contracts - leading programs in multiple jurisdictions simultaneously is a plus
- Minimum of at least 10 years of management experience
- Technology Aptitude - fluency in and/or comfort to learn GSuite + other tech tools like Asana + Slack
- Deep commitment to our mission and nuanced understanding of systemic, structural racism and inequity
- Lived experience and/or proximity to child welfare, whether as former foster youth, kinship family or other is a plus
- Understanding of how to center the lived experience of those touched by child welfare in EVERY aspect of your work
- We provide generous health, dental, & vision coverage for you and dependents as well as a 401k plan for your pre-tax retirement contributions
- We're a remote team with schedule flexibility
- We have a flexible vacation policy
- We hold biweekly team-wide learning sessions to deepen our understanding of the lived experience of foster youth
- We put you at the cutting edge of change in the Child Welfare system
- We provide the opportunity for you to interact with leading voices in government, foundations, the nonprofit world, and entertainment working to reform child welfare
$140,000 - $160,000 - with flexibility based on experience